Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Cowell & Hubbard--Downtown Cleveland (Euclid Ave.) [$$$]

Sticking with the downtown theme, Shannon chose a location that is in the heart of it all: The Playhouse District. Parking in a lot Shannon was familiar with on Prospect and E. 14th, we needed  only to walk a short distance to Euclid and cross the street. With no particularly restaurant-esque indications, the dual-named sign could be easily mistaken as a law firm. We hesitated briefly before opening the door, but the etching on the window stated it was a Zack Bruell Restaurant, so we knew we were in the right place. We were swept, as always, into an intimate corner booth by a window onlooking Euclid Ave. and the passersby. Our fast-talking, enthusiastic waitress soon came over and immediately divulged into her favorite menu items. She had poured oil onto a plate, so it was no surprise when another waiter came to distribute two slices of fresh bread for each of us. Each of the tables had a little bowl of pink sea salt and a wooden spoon for application. At first, we were unsure whether it was sugar or salt, so Shannon tasted a few grains to experiment. We commented on how the pink salt complemented the overall red accents throughout the restaurant. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grace:

My parents have been to Cowell & Hubbard after a play, so they have told me I should make my way in there sometime. I was very excited when Shannon told me one of my options for restaurants this week was Cowell & Hubbard! It was very modern inside and I was very impressed with the size. Our waitress was very accommodating to Shannon's vegetarian needs, and I thought it was very interesting that she told us that one of the vegan items was one of her favorites and she wasn't even a vegan or vegetarian. It took me a lot longer to decide what I wanted than it has in the past, but I am very glad I deliberated for a while and chose a winner! 

Shannon and I decided to get a glass of the same white wine, a Vouvray. It was crisp, but not dry. The bread with olive oil was delicious, and had a buttery taste to it that was different from other complimentary olive oil mixtures I've been given. I actually didn't use the sea salt, but more or less used it as a zen garden on such a tranquil day. Between sips of wine and bites of bread, I continued to look at the menu and I was between the Pacific Rock Fish and the Lamb Breast. Since I've only tried lamb in a bite of my boyfriend's gyro, I knew I should get that. The waitress informed me it was very fatty, and asked if that was a problem. I said it probably wouldn't be, but I could always cut it off if it was. 

I was so impressed by how fast our meals came to our table--seeing as they were both so elegantly presented! The lamb had a yogurt and mint marinade, but that was very subtle seeing as there were also bits of lemon and orange found in the cous cous underneath the lamb. Also in the cous cous were Moroccan spices, pine nuts, and black olives. I found the lamb breast option to be a lot of food for $15. When I got to the last few bites, I found myself doing the belly rub that my boyfriend so proudly does when he is satisfied. When we were all finished, the waitress brought over dessert menus for each of us--but I was definitely not able to consume anything else. Not even another glass of wine! 

Cowell & Hubbard was an amazing experience, and I am so glad I finally got to go! Everything was perfect--the service, the decor, and the food's presentation! It ended up being a nice day off of work and I always look forward to our outings. This time downtown was very exciting, because we got to see Shannon's boyfriend, Liam, who works across the street from Cowell & Hubbard. Next time we go, it will definitely be after a play, and also with our significant others! 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon:

My uncle suggested we visit Cowell & Hubbard when I first told him of our blog several months ago.  I put it on a list that since then has lengthened quite a bit, but considering we've been visiting downtown restaurants recently, I thought I should finally check this location off my list.  Once we were parked in the lot I park in when I stop downtown for lunch with my boyfriend, we meandered around a large fenced-in construction area and crossed Euclid.  After entering I recognized the surrounding atmosphere from the photographs on the restaurant's website.  The chairs, booths, and bar stools were all crimson red, a shock of color amid otherwise subtle tones of blacks and browns.  We were seated in a booth by a window which graciously warmed us with rays of sun.  Moments later our waitress arrived along with the bread and oil.

After our waitress mentioned the soups of the day, I inquired whether either were vegetarian.  She responded that they indeed were, but then itemized the vegetarian and vegan options on the menu in front of me.  She exuberantly suggested the Stuffed Pepper Provencal off of the vegan portion of the menu.  Having mentioned she ate it regularly despite being neither vegetarian nor vegan spiked my interest.  Still, I browsed the menu in case something else struck my fancy further.  Returning several times while we were lost in deciding, she suggested a Vouvray to go with the peppers, which at this point I felt I must order.  She looked quite pleased when I said I would be having the peppers, and once Grace placed her order we started sipping our wine.  I am not much of a wine-drinker, and when I do have a glass I prefer sweeter white wines.  The Vouvray was not too sweet, but perfect for my palate.  The bread and oil paired wonderfully with the wine, and I even sprinkled some of the sea salt onto my slice after dipping it in the oil.

Our food did not take very long to arrive, and it did so with a flourish.  A man from the kitchen brought us our plates, which were both lovely and sizable portioned.  My plate held three poblano peppers stuffed with tofu and spices, garnished with a heap of cilantro and two lime slices over a miso sauce.  I squeezed the lime slices onto the peppers, releasing the juice as I am accustomed to do with Pad Thai.  Having been warned the peppers were slightly spicy, I took a small first bite to gauge my reaction.  I found the peppers barely spicy at all, which surprised me, being unreasonably sensitive to spicy foods.  After a few more bites of the first pepper, I started picking off the leaves of the cilantro, since they were still attached to thick stems.  This made chewing an easier task.  Throughout my meal I tried to decipher the spices that made up the stuffing, however I found this a difficult task.  It was such a hearty mixture, unlike any variation of tofu I have ever had.  There were red pepper flecks and small slices of tomato throughout, which added a splash of color to the mainly green dish.  The miso sauce really made the dish spectacular for me, being a lover of miso soup.  The lime paired perfectly with the sumptuous sauce, and at the end of the third pepper I was very full.

I must admit I would probably not have ordered the peppers had our waitress not suggested them so vehemently.  However I am certainly glad that I did.  Cowell & Hubbard was a delightful experience and I look forward to going back and trying other items off the vegan portion of the menu.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outside of Cowell & Hubbard

View of bar and some seating areas

Back seating areas

Window seats

Sea salt, oil, and bread

Vouvray

Grace's Lamb Breast and cous cous

Shannon's Vegan Stuffed Peppers

Food preparation area

Bar

More seating
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cowell & Hubbard was incredible as well as beautiful.  The atmosphere was truly cool and the staff was extremely helpful and considerate. We would love to stop in to sit at the bar in the evening and watch the city go by out the huge windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment