Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Flaming Ice Cube--Public Square, Cleveland (Corner of S. Roadway and Ontario) [$]

Trekking downtown for the first time since the start of our blog, our lunch outing started with struggling to find a parking spot.  Deciding to quit meandering, we entered the Tower City parking garage and luckily saw a car backing out once we made it to the furthest corner of the lot.  Of course on our way inside we found a vacant spot right next to the elevators, but neither of us wanted to lie down to save it.  Going through Tower City and coming out onto Ontario, we were at first confused where the restaurant was because it was inconveniently blocked by the construction in the middle of the road.  Locating our destination with some peeking around a large truck, we swiftly made our way inside.  We were seated in a neat corner swathed in exotic patterned fabrics and silver wall ornaments.  Our soft-spoken waiter brought us our menus and water, and we started to browse our choices.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grace:

Having just started eating meat again, I was a bit concerned when Shannon chose a vegan restaurant! I thought everything would be made of tofu, soy, tempeh, and the like. I'm definitely a carnivore at heart, but I looked at the Flaming Ice Cube menu online and it seemed intriguing. Since I am a fan of hummus wraps, I figured I would be getting that--and not, say, anything with soy and/or vegan substitutes for pepperoni or chicken, just in case I didn't like it. Shannon had told me when we sat down that she heard the artichoke dip was out of this world. Since I am now making student loan payments, I didn't really want to splurge on an appetizer this time. The waiter came and quietly told us the soups of the day: black bean and a sweet potato based soup that we didn't hear in entirety. We had to ask him again when he came back. I opted for the "Choose Two" option for only $6.99, and ordered black bean chili and the hummus veggie wrap.

We both ordered soups, and they came promptly and at the same time. My black bean chili was one of the best I've had. It was pretty spicy and I even found my nose running a little! It was the perfect temperature and all of the ingredients were very fresh. It was the perfect amount for a combo soup, and I definitely recommend getting it.

My hummus veggie wrap came when I wasn't even done with my chili, so I made sure to finish my soup before paying any attention to my wrap. The hummus veggie wrap consisted of a homemade garlic parsley hummus, cucumber, tomato, green pepper, and romaine lettuce. I commented on how speckled the actual wrap was, and how cool it was. I had never seen a wrap like that before, but it was really great, with its traces of garlic and its assortment of herbs. The wrap wasn't folded like other wraps I've seen, so I expected the contents of it to slip out really easily. However, everything stayed in place! The flavors of the wrap mellowed out the spiciness of the black bean soup. I didn't put the wrap down once, and I recommend getting that, as well!

I really enjoyed our vegan lunch outing. It was nice to "eat clean" and also to relax for a little while with a great friend. If you are ever downtown and looking for a quick, healthy lunch--I highly recommend Flaming Ice Cube as a great alternative to those other fast food places. Cheap and convenient should not have to come before quality.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shannon:

Several months ago my uncle told me about The Flaming Ice Cube, and wanting to go ever since, I made a point to get there finally.  One of my bosses made me even more excited when she told me it is one of her favorite restaurants, being a vegan.  As a vegetarian who often eats a vegan diet, I was greatly looking forward to being able to order absolutely anything I wanted on the menu, as this never happens at regular restaurants.  I had not even browsed the menu online because I knew I did not have to search for an option I could eat.  So once we arrived, I hungrily browsed the menu to decide what I would want.

Wanting to steer away from the burger options, having had a fair amount of veggie and portabella burgers recently, I concentrated on the sandwich and wrap menu.  Grace mentioned the "choose two" option, which appealed to me because I also wanted to order a soup.  I had not quite caught the full name of the sweet potato soup option, although knowing I would be able to eat any of the ingredients, and greatly liking sweet potatoes caused me to order the soup anyway.  Along with the soup I ordered half the chickenless salad sandwich.  Our soups arrived several minutes after ordering, in a little white bowl on a white plate accompanied by oyster crackers.  I added the crackers and tasted my soup to be intrigued by the flavor I was tasting.  I added a few dashes of pepper and asked Grace if she would like to try it, asking her if she could decipher the other ingredient.  We guessed ginger and pumpkin, but I still could not put my finger on it.  Right before I gave up and asked, I commented that there was a peanuty flavor to it.  When the other waiter on duty came over with our sandwiches I asked her what the soup was called, to which she replied, Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Bisque, and I pointed at Grace and exclaimed "I knew it!"  The waitress looked at me quizzically and I told her I had not entirely understood the soup when the other waiter had listed them, and she looked a little less confused.

After finishing off my soup, I pushed the bowl away and pulled my sandwich plate closer.  The triangle of my half sandwich sat next to a pickle on another white plate, and although it looked delightful, I was disappointed by it being fairly small.  The bread was toasted seven grain, and a bamboo sandwich pick was dramatically sticking out the top slice.  The chickenless salad was comprised of tempeh, celery, onions, and I am assuming a type of veganaise.  The salad was accompanied by a couple slices of tomato and lettuce.  Starting at one corner, to keep the pick in, I took a bite and tasted all the layers of the sandwich.  Being a fan of Whole Foods' vegan chicken salad, I was curious to taste a different take on the recipe.  As I chewed the corner of my sandwich, I was delighted by The Flaming Ice Cube's chickenless salad.  The celery gave it a nice crunch, and overall the flavors lend themselves wonderfully to the rest of the sandwich.  I finished this in no time, and decided that next time I would just order a soup along with a full sandwich order.  I did not leave hungry, but I definitely could have had, and would have enjoyed, a larger helping.

The Flaming Ice Cube was an exciting outing for me, since most of our restaurant choices usually have a handful at most for me to eat.  The environment was really cool, and I am very happy that Cleveland has an all vegan option within the city.  Definitely check this Compassionate Cafe out!  It's totally worth it!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flaming Ice Cube door

Deli and Seating area

Table corner

Display case

Specials board

Moon wall ornament and wall hangings

Black Bean Chili
Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Bisque

Tempeh Chickenless Salad Sandwich

Hummus Veggie Wrap

Seating and wall decorations

Seating area

Flaming Ice Cube explanation

Outside The Flaming Ice Cube
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Flaming Ice Cube was a really amazing place for a quick and healthy lunch.  We will definitely be going back to try other sandwiches, and a cup of raspberry chocolate coffee!  Let us know if you stop by and order something tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment